Following NFPA 75 Rules
Data centers have their own standards for fire protection as identified under the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 75). A closer look at Chapter 5 Section 4 pertaining to Raised Floors we find the following standards:
5.4* Raised Floors. Where raised floors are used, they shall comply with 5.4.1 through 5.4.4.
5.4.1 Structural supporting members for raised floors shall be of noncombustible material.
5.4.2 Decking for raised floors shall be one of the following:
(2) Pressure-impregnated, fire-retardant-treated lumber having a flame spread index of 25 or less in accordance with ASTME 84.
(3) Wood or similar core material that is encased on the top and bottom with sheet, cast, or extruded metal, with all openings or cut edges covered with metal or plastic clips or grommets so that none of the core is exposed, and that has an assembly flame spread index of 25 or less in accordance with ANSI/UL 723.
- AirGuard brushed grommets protects cables from potential damage caused by cut edges in raised floor tiles.
- AirGuard brushed grommets are UL 94 VO rated which is the most flame resistant on UL's scale for plastics. Flame spread rating ranges from 0 to 100 with 0 = best and 100 = worst. Rating A = 0-25 flame spread, AirGuard's UL 94 rating is A, the best in class.
5.4.3 Access sections or panels shall be provided in raised floors so that all the space beneath is accessible. Tools needed to provide access to the underfloor space shall be located in the room, and their location shall be well marked.
5.4.4 Electric cable openings in floors shall be made smooth or shall be otherwise protected to preclude the possibility of damage to the cables. Openings in raised floors for electric cables or other uses should be protected to minimize the entrance of debris or other combustibles.
- Sealing penetrations in an ITE room raised floor using a fire rated UL 94 VO AirGuard brush grommet protects cable from damage and limits debris from entering the air-space, satisfying both NFPA 75 5.4.2(3) and 5.4.4.
NFPA 75 5.4 Raised Floors recommends the use of grommets to:
- Protect cables from sharp edges created by cut openings in raised floor tiles,
- Have a flame rating of A,
- Seal floor openings to prevent debris or other combustibles from entering underfloor air space.
- AirGuard brushed grommet cable seals accomplish all three requirements of NFPA 75 5.4.
If you're not using AirGuard brushed grommets to seal cable cutouts in a data centers raised floor, you might not be in compliance with NFPA 75?